Creating a framework for electronic payment is a requirement under the Affordable Care Act as many physicians’ offices currently receive and deposit paper checks, which makes it difficult for the offices to track the status of payments and to determine if an insurance provider will cover certain procedures. As of January of this year, HHS adopted health care electronic fund transfer (EFT) standards to start a path to savings on administrative costs. The operating rules announced this week follow industry best practices for collecting electronic funds, including a requirement for “insurers to offer a standardized, online enrollment for EFT and ERA so that physicians and hospitals can more easily enroll with multiple health plans to receive those transactions electronically,” according to the HHS press release. More about the rule.
Information Available for 2012 Reporting Pilot Program for Stage 1 CQMs This week, CMS released information for theEHR Incentive Program 2012 Reporting Pilot, a voluntary electronic reporting option, for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs)to report Clinical Quality Measures (CQM) for the EHR Incentive Program.
Currently, there are three ways to satisfy the CQM portion of Stage 1 according to the QualityNet website:
- Attest, using the attestation toolprovided by CMS to report CQMs.
- Submit Quality Reporting Document Architecture (QRDA) Category Idata during the submission period for episodes of care occurring in federal Fiscal Year 2012. For each of the 15 CQMs, all Medicare patients for the applicable EHR reporting period must be successfully submitted to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) data warehouse via MyQualityNet. A declaration of zero (0) patients for measures in which no patients were seen must be made in QualityNet, if applicable.
- Both attest and submit CQMs electronically through the pilot. NOTE: If this option is elected, payment will be based on the attestation results.
Eligible hospitals and CAHs will receive incentive payments if they satisfy all meaningful use requirements regardless of which method they use to report CQMs.
CHIME Advocacy Calendar & Events
Convergence: Cutting-Edge Healthcare Research in Real World Settings – Advocacy Webinar w/ AHRQ’s Jon White, August 16, 2012 @ 11am ET – Register NOW!!
CHIME Advocacy Documents
- CHIME Comments on NwHIN Governance RFI (July 2012)
- CHIME Comments to ICD-10 Delay (May 2012)
- CHIME Comments to CMS for Meaningful Use (May 2012)
- CHIME Comments to ONC for Standards & Certification (May 2012)