To help chief information officers of healthcare organizations make complex decisions involving how to achieve health information exchange with other providers, the Ann Arbor, Mich.-based College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) and the eHealth Initiative (eHI) today released, The HIE Guide for CIOs.
The Web-based guide offers practical assistance for information technology executives pertaining to health information exchange. It includes chapters on:
• Assessing the local landscape for HIE
• Considerations in forming an Enterprise Health Information Organization
• Selecting an external Health Information Organization
• Technical requirements for HIE
• Assessing service offerings
• Ensuring privacy and confidentiality
• National HIE initiatives
Content for the HIE Guide was developed by conducting research with CHIME’s CIO members who have had practical experience with health information exchange, as well as drawing upon the resources of eHI, particularly its HIE Toolkit, which provides in-depth information related to the development of health information organizations.
The HIE Guide for CIOs is available for free here.