Cerner is forming an Advisory Group to provide insights and recommendations in support of the electronic health record (EHR) vendor’s work on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Electronic Health Record Modernization (EHRM) program.
The group is comprised of former government, military and private sector leaders sharing a common interest in Veterans health and wellness, the company said. The VA Advisory Group is chaired by former U.S. Senator and Nebraska Governor Bob Kerrey, a U.S. Navy Veteran. Kerrey served in Vietnam as a U.S. Navy SEAL.
Other members of the Advisory Group are:
- Roger Baker, former assistant secretary of information and technology and CIO for the VA and the former CIO for the U.S. Department of Commerce. Baker also has served as a chief executive for multiple privately held IT companies.
- Daphne Bascom, M.D., Ph.D., the senior vice president and medical director of community integrated health for the YMCA of Greater Kansas City. Bascom has more than 10 years of experience in clinical integration, performance improvement, and deployment of health IT systems.
- Vivian Greentree, Ph.D., the senior vice president and head of global corporate citizenship at First Data Corporation. A U.S. Navy Veteran, Dr. Greentree helped found Blue Star Families, the largest chapter-based military support organization in the country.
- Karen DeSalvo, M.D., former acting assistant secretary for health, former national coordinator for health information technology, and former director of the Office of the National Coordinator for HHS. Before serving at HHS, Dr. DeSalvo served as the New Orleans health commissioner and the senior health policy advisor to New Orleans Mayor Mitchell Landrieu.
- Marina Martin is a technology entrepreneur and former chief technology officer for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. During her tenure at VA, Marina built the first agency United States digital service team, which focused on transforming the veteran digital experience.
- James Peake, M.D., LTG (Ret) is a senior vice president at CGI Federal, a leading IT and business process services provider.
- Jonathan Perlin, M.D., Ph.D. is the president, clinical services and Chief Medical Officer for the Hospital Corporation of America where he provides leadership on advancing electronic health records and driving value through data science and advanced analytics. Dr. Perlin is a former undersecretary for health at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Brigadier General Donald Scott is a retired veteran of the U.S. Army with a thirty-year military career, serving in Vietnam and receiving the distinguished service medal, Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal and Combat Infantryman’s Badge.
“Each member of our VA Advisory Group brings exceptional knowledge and experience, which will help us deliver a seamless care experience for our nation’s veterans,” Travis Dalton, senior vice president, Cerner, said in a statement. “As we work with VA to modernize its health record system, the incredibly accomplished members of this group will provide advice and guidance on our approach to improving every veterans’ experience across the system of care – both within VA and with community providers.”
Get the latest information on Health IT and attend other valuable sessions at this two-day Summit providing healthcare leaders with educational content, insightful debate and dialogue on the future of healthcare and technology.