Last month Healthcare Informatics interviewed David Kibbe, M.D., outgoing president and CEO of DirectTrust, a nonprofit organization that supports health information exchange via the Direct message protocols. Kibbe spoke about the organization’s future, including its work to become an accredited standards development organization as it searches for his successor.
As it makes that transition, DirectTrust announced the appointment of five new executives to its board of directors.
• Adam Apatoff – General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for Secure Exchange Solutions. Apatoff has 20 years of experience in the health information exchange and technology sector advising in private law practice.
• Sameer Badlani, M.D., – System Vice President, Chief Health Information Officer (CHIO), and interim Chief Data Officer with Sutter Health. Previously, Dr. Badlani was CHIO for Intermountain Healthcare and held a board position with Utah Health Information Network (UHIN).
• Anupam Goel, M.D., MBA – Physician Informaticist over Emerging Technologies, Innovation and Research at Advocate Aurora Health. Dr. Goel has tested Direct messaging with providers and patients to share PHI across organizational boundaries.
• Andy Heeren – Senior Director of Network Development at Cerner Corp. Heeren is an experienced board member who is being nominated for another term after serving as a non-voting member of the board for 12 months. Heeren was instrumental in creating the first Federated Services Agreement and the first formal Strategic Plan for DirectTrust.
• Julie Maas – President and CEO of EMR Direct. Maas has been a long-time contributor to technical and policy discussions within DirectTrust workgroups for the past five years, and in interoperability forums across the industry.
Additionally, Bruce Schreiber was appointed new board chairman, replacing Paul Uhrig. Schreiber, Chief Technology Officer at MaxMD, has been involved with Direct since participating in the Direct Project Rules of the Road workgroup in 2010. His firm, MaxMD, was a beta site for the initial EHNAC accreditation process. Schreiber will continue to work on the advancement of Direct through his leadership and participation in DirectTrust workgroups.
Uhrig, Surescripts Chief Administrative, Legal and Privacy Officer, joins DirectTrust Emeritus Directors John Blair, III, MD, FACS, CEO of MedAllies; Leslie Kelly Hall, an advocate of patient engagement and consumer empowerment through health information technology (HIT) with 25 years in HIT executive leadership; and Scott Rea, Senior Vice President-Public Key Infrastructure at DarkMatter.
Dan Paoletti was named treasurer. Paoletti is the Chief Executive Officer of the Ohio Health Information Partnership. With more than 25 years of experience in the healthcare industry, his sales, management and health information technology expertise have influenced the start-up and success of DirectTrust.
Get the latest information on Health IT and attend other valuable sessions at this two-day Summit providing healthcare leaders with educational content, insightful debate and dialogue on the future of healthcare and technology.