Report: No Single Vendor Controls the EMR Market | Healthcare Informatics Magazine | Health IT | Information Technology Skip to content Skip to navigation

Report: No Single Vendor Controls the EMR Market

August 27, 2015
by Rajiv Leventhal
| Reprints

Despite the public at times thinking otherwise, no single health IT vendor has outright dominated the electronic medical record (EMR) market, according to healthcare market research publisher Kalorama Information.

The firm says there is large supply of competitors and no single dominant company offering the top solution.  As more physicians and hospitals use EMR and acquire EMR systems, and as hospitals and physician groups upgrade existing systems, there continues to be room for a competitive market, according to the report, “EMR 2015: The Market for Electronic Medical Records.”

According to Kalorama's report, Cerner garnered the top position in the EMR market with slightly less than 14 percent market share in 2014.  McKesson, Epic, Allscripts, Siemens and GE Healthcare round up the larger-sized competitors in the market.  Together, Kalorama estimates that these firms have 49 percent of the market.  "That leaves 51% of the market for the scores of medium and small sized firms," Bruce Carlson, publisher of Kalorama Information, said in a statement. "It has been the case that for several years in EMR there is no dominant player," said Carlson. "We don't see a change in this trend for the next few years."

Get the latest information on Health IT and attend other valuable sessions at this two-day Summit providing healthcare leaders with educational content, insightful debate and dialogue on the future of healthcare and technology.

Learn More

Topics

News

ONC Roundup: Senior Leadership Changes Spark Questions

The Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) has continued to experience changes within its upper leadership, leading some folks to again ponder what the health IT agency’s role will be moving forward.

Media Report: Walmart Hires Former Humana Executive to Run Health Unit

Reigniting speculation that Walmart and insurer Humana are exploring ways to forge a closer partnership, Walmart Inc. has hired a Humana veteran to run its health care business, according to a report from Bloomberg.

Value-Based Care Shift Has Halted, Study Finds

A new study of 451 physicians and health plan executives suggests that progress toward value-based care has stalled. In fact, it may have even taken a step backward over the past year, the research revealed.

Study: EHRs Tied with Lower Hospital Mortality, But Only After Systems Have Matured

Over the past decade, there has been significant national investment in electronic health record (EHR) systems at U.S. hospitals, which was expected to result in improved quality and efficiency of care. However, evidence linking EHR adoption to better care is mixed, according to medical researchers.

Nursing Notes Can Help Predict ICU Survival, Study Finds

Researchers at the University of Waterloo in Ontario have found that sentiments in healthcare providers’ nursing notes can be good indicators of whether intensive care unit (ICU) patients will survive.

Health Catalyst Completes Acquisition of HIE Technology Company Medicity

Salt Lake City-based Health Catalyst, a data analytics company, has completed its acquisition of Medicity, a developer of health information exchange (HIE) technology, and the deal adds data exchange capabilities to Health Catalyst’s data, analytics and decision support solutions.