Research: mHealth Industry to reach $11.8 billion | Healthcare Informatics Magazine | Health IT | Information Technology Skip to content Skip to navigation

Research: mHealth Industry to Reach $11.8 billion

August 6, 2012
by Gabriel Perna
| Reprints

According to a new report from healthcare industry analysts GlobalData, the mobile health (mHealth) industry is poised for a huge jump in value over the coming decade thanks to a spike in apps, going from its worth in 2011 of $1.2 billion to a value of $11.8 billion by 2018. The industry, GlobalData says, will grow at annual compounded rate of 39 percent.

The report’s authors say the growth will come from the widespread use of smartphones such as iPhone, as well as Android and Blackberry platform, which all offer a multitude of apps that cover a wide spectrum of healthcare topics – from fitness and nutrition, to diagnostic imaging. According to the report, the large majority of the mHealth market is taken up by software and services, accounting for 80 percent. The two other sections of the industry are hardware, which makes up 12 percent of the market, and network and connectivity, which occupies the remaining eight percent.

GlobalData says 70 percent of the available healthcare apps are consumer focused, while the remaining 30 percent are designed for medical professionals. Most of these medical professional apps can offer clinicians access to patient information and the ability to conduct further analysis such as creating 3D anatomical models, says the report.

The US is the main market for mHealth solutions and made a contribution of $660m to the global market in 2011. Europe and the Asia-Pacific region contributed $420m and $120m, respectively.
 

Get the latest information on Health IT and attend other valuable sessions at this two-day Summit providing healthcare leaders with educational content, insightful debate and dialogue on the future of healthcare and technology.

Learn More

Topics

News

Industry Organizations Praise Senate Passage of VA Mission Act

The U.S. Senate on Wednesday passed, by a vote of 92-5, a major Veterans Affairs (VA) reform bill that includes health IT-related provisions to improve health data exchange between VA healthcare providers and community care providers.

NIH Issues Funding Announcement for All of Us Genomic Research Program

The National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) “All of Us” Research Program has issued a funding announcement for genome centers to generate genotype and whole genome sequence data from participants’ biosamples.

MGMA: Physician Compensation Data Illustrates Nationwide PCP Shortage

Primary care physicians’ compensation rose by more than 10 percent over the past five years, representing an increase which is nearly double that of specialty physicians’ compensation over the same period, according to the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA).

Circulation, Buoy Health Collaborate on Integrated Platform for Patient Transportation

Boston-based startup Circulation Health, a ride-ordering exchange that coordinates medical transportation logistics using Lyft and other transportation partners, is partnering with Buoy Health, also based in Boston, to integrate their platforms to provide patients with an end-to-end healthcare experience.

HITRUST Provides NIST Cybersecurity Framework Certification

The Health Information Trust Alliance (HITRUST), security and privacy standards development and accreditation organization, announced this week a certification program for the National Institute of Standards and Technology's (NIST) Cybersecurity Framework (Framework).

Report: Interoperability in NHS England Faces Similar Barriers as U.S. Healthcare

Electronic patient record interoperability in NHS England is benefiting patient care, but interoperability efforts are facing barriers, including limited data sharing and cumbersome processes falling outside of the clinician workflow, according to a KLAS Research report.