The Chicago-based Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society announced the recipients of its 2009 Awards program, and the HIMSS Foundation revealed the winners of scholarship programs for students enrolled in health IT and management systems university degree programs.
Among those recognized by HIMSS is William Bria, M.D., CMIO at Shriners Hospital for Children in Tampa, Fla, who received the Physician IT Leadership Award. Bria is a member of the Healthcare Informatics editorial board.
Other winners of 2009 HIMSS Awards are as follows:
- Distinguished Fellows Service Award — Cindy McKinney, Senior Managing Consultant, IBM (Kansas City, Mo.);
- Chapter Leader of the Year — Duke Rohe, Performance Improvement Specialist; The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (Houston);
- John A. Page Outstanding Service Award — Helen Hill, Henry Ford Health System (Ann Arbor, Mich.);
- Founders Leadership Award — John Maese, M.D., President, Quality Physician Services (Brooklyn, N.Y.);
- Nursing Informatics Leadership Award — Ida Androwich, RNC, Ph.D., Professor and Director, Health Systems Management, Loyola University Chicago;
- ACCE-HIMSS Excellence in Clinical Engineering and Information Technology Synergies Award — Adrian Johnson, Director, Biomedical Engineering, London Health Sciences Centre (Ontario).
The four recipients of the Board of Directors Service Award are: Charles Christian, Director of Information Systems and CIO, Good Samaritan Hospital (Vincennes, Ind.); Jay Srini, Chief Innovation Officer; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Pittsburgh); Sunny Sanyal, President, McKesson Corporation (Alpharetta, Ga.); and John Blair III, M.D., president, Taconic IPA, Inc. (Fishkill, N.Y.)
Organizations receiving recognition include:
- The HIMSS Davies Awards Public Health Award of Excellence — Boston Public Health Commission, Infectious Disease Bureau, Boston Syndromic Surveillance System (Boston); and Denver Public Health, Denver Public Health Information Service (Denver).
- HIMSS Davies Ambulatory Care Award of Excellence — Virginia Women’s Center (Richmond, Va.);
- HIMSS Davies Community Health Organizations Award of Excellence — Urban Health Plan (Bronx, N.Y.) and Heart of Texas (Waco, Texas);
- HIMSS Davies Organizational Award of Excellence — MultiCare (Tacoma, Wash.).
For a full listing of the awards and for information on the scholarships awarded, please visit the HIMSS Web site. All honorees will be recognized at the HIMSS Awards Banquet on March 2, during the 2010 Annual HIMSS Conference & Exhibition.
Get the latest information on Health IT and attend other valuable sessions at this two-day Summit providing healthcare leaders with educational content, insightful debate and dialogue on the future of healthcare and technology.