Developing software solutions is only the beginning in improving care delivery in healthcare. The real innovation occurs in the hands of innovators—those who take a good idea to the next level. Two award programs honor leading teams.
One is the Healthcare Informatics Innovators Award program, which highlights teams from healthcare organizations. Tonight, at a reception held in conjunction with HIMSS 2014 in Orlando, Healthcare Informatics’ editors will recognize the achievements of the winning teams.
- First place winner is Catholic Medical Partners, the physician affiliate of Catholic Health System and a 900-physician IPA in Buffalo, NY for their Electronic Medical Record Quality Reporting program, involving population health, quality reporting, and analytics.
- There are two second-place winners: North Memorial Healthcare (Minneapolis-St. Paul), for their Process Improvement Program; and Maimonides Medical Center and the Brooklyn Health Home for their creation of “A Program to Advance the Triple Aim for Seriously Mentally Ill Populations.”
- Third place goes to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, for their creation of the “PREDICT” (Pharmacogenomic Resource for Enhanced Decisions in Care and Treatment) program.
Another program recognizing innovation is the Microsoft Health Users Group (Microsoft HUG) Innovator Awards. Now in its seventeenth year, these awards highlight healthcare organizations and their technology solution partners for using Microsoft devices and services in innovative ways to improve care delivery through quality, productivity and/or electronic medical record (EMR) optimization.
Microsoft honored the following health organizations for delivering breakthroughs in healthcare:
- Innovation in Patient Engagement: Genesis Rehab Services with Respond Well for the creation of the Genesis Rehab Services Virtual Trainer, a falls prevention and rehab solution.
- Innovation in Electronic Medical Record Optimization: Healthcare Corporation of America (HCA) for its Public Health Reporting tool.
- Innovation in Electronic Medical Record Optimization: São João Hospital with DevScope. Together, they developed and implemented the VITAL – SurVeillance, MoniToring and Alert solution to help analyze and correlate the massive amounts of patient data housed and spread within its several systems.
- Innovation in Infrastructure Optimization: Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center - Center for Technology Commercialization with Aspect Software for the Intellectual Property Monetization Framework.
- Innovation in Mobile Health Solutions: Meridian Health with iMPak Health for its medication compliance programs using mobile devices.
- Open Innovation: Janssen Incubator, Janssen Research, & Development, LLC for development of the Autism Knowledge Engine—a digital platform for tracking outcomes and optimizing development of novel medicines for autism spectrum disorders.