Top Hospitals Leverage Data Analytics to Reduce Supply Expenses, Study Finds | Healthcare Informatics Magazine | Health IT | Information Technology Skip to content Skip to navigation

Top Hospitals Leverage Data Analytics to Reduce Supply Expenses, Study Finds

September 14, 2017
by Rajiv Leventhal
| Reprints

U.S. hospitals could reduce annual supply expenses by approximately $23 billion in aggregate through improvements in supply chain operations, processes, and product use, according to new research from Chicago-based Navigant Consulting.

The analysis of more than 2,300 hospitals also shows that lower supply spending does not have to reduce quality, as hospital-acquired condition and value-based purchasing scores are slightly better at top-performing supply chain facilities. Further, Navigant officials attest, the chance to realize savings may exist for all types of hospitals, with opportunities relatively equal across such characteristics as size, regional location, and whether the facility is urban or rural, for-profit or not-for-profit, or system-based or standalone.

The $23 billion reduction in annual supply expenses in aggregate represents a 17.8 percent average total supply expense reduction opportunity or up to $9.9 million a year per hospital—an amount equivalent to the annual salaries of 150 registered nurses, the cost of 4,000 cardiac defibrillators, or five Da Vinci robots, officials point out.

The study found that the top 24 percent of 2,331 U.S. hospitals analyzed spent $23 billion less a year than other facilities on supply chain products and related operations, processes, and procedures. As such, savings could be achieved if the remaining 76 percent of hospitals perform at the level of top performers for supply chain budget efficiency, according to the research.

What’s more, the top performers consistently leverage evidence-based protocols and data analytics to reduce variation in pricing, product use, and clinical outcomes, the findings revealed.

“It’s clear that some hospitals have the appropriate strategies and processes in place to efficiently manage supply chain budgets while maintaining high-quality outcomes,” Rob Austin, associate director at Navigant, said in a prepared statement. “For example, we have found, somewhat counterintuitively, that the highest-performing providers are simultaneously able to decrease cost and improve quality, in part by reducing clinical variation. Lower-performing supply chain departments need to leverage these types of proven best practices to drive care delivery improvements.”

Get the latest information on Health IT and attend other valuable sessions at this two-day Summit providing healthcare leaders with educational content, insightful debate and dialogue on the future of healthcare and technology.

Learn More

Topics

News

Healthcare Execs Anticipate High Cost Returns from Predictive Analytics Use

Healthcare executives are dedicating budget to predictive analytics, and are forecasting significant cost savings in return, according to new research from the Illinois-based Society of Actuaries.

Adam Boehler Tapped by Azar to Serve as Senior Value-Based Care Advisor

Adam Boehler, currently director of CMMI, has also been named the senior advisor for value-based transformation and innovation, HHS Secretary Alex Azar announced.

Vivli Launches Clinical Research Data-Sharing Platform

On July 19 a new global data-sharing and analytics platform called Vivli was unveiled. The nonprofit group’s mission is to promote, coordinate and facilitate scientific sharing and reuse of clinical research data.

Survey: More Effective IT Needed to Improve Patient Safety

In a Health Catalyst survey, physicians, nurses and healthcare executives said ineffective information technology, and the lack of real-time warnings for possible harm events, are key obstacles to achieving their organizations' patient safety goals.

Physicians Still Reluctant to Embrace Virtual Tech, Survey Finds

While consumers and physicians agree that virtual healthcare holds great promise for transforming care delivery, physicians still remain reluctant to embrace the technologies, according to a new Deloitte Center for Health Solutions survey.

Geisinger, AstraZeneca Partner on Asthma App Suite

Geisinger has partnered with pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca to create a suite of products that integrate into the electronic health record and engage asthma patients and their providers in co-managing the disease.