Survey: 81 Percent of Patients would Encourage Docs to Use HIE | Healthcare Informatics Magazine | Health IT | Information Technology Skip to content Skip to navigation

Survey: 81 Percent of Patients would Encourage Docs to Use HIE

November 13, 2017
by Rajiv Leventhal
| Reprints

A survey of 1,000 consumers in Western New York has revealed that 81 percent of patients would recommend HEALTHeLINK, the region’s health information exchange (HIE), to their doctors.

In September, HEALTHeLINK conducted a survey among 1,000 consumers in the eight-county region of Western New York to gauge attitudes and opinion about the efficacy and awareness of the electronic sharing of patient clinical data. The data showed that 27 percent of respondents “feel strongly” with another 59 percent saying “yes” that the healthcare system in Western New York is providing a “high level” of care.

Meanwhile, 90 percent of respondents said they knew that their doctor uses electronic health records (EHRs) and this remained at a high level among all demographic groups. And, 51 percent said that the use of EHRs by doctors and hospitals makes healthcare “more safe” while 18 percent said “less safe,” and 24 percent said it makes “no impact.” There was an uptick for “more safe” among those who were aware of HEALTHeLINK (57 percent).

What’s more, 88 percent said they were aware that their doctor can send/receive medical information to and from other healthcare providers involved in their care using EHRs. More than half (56 percent) of respondents said that they were aware of the name HEALTHeLINK, with 41 percent saying they were not aware, and 2 percent unsure.

When asked if they would be willing to encourage their physician or healthcare provider to use HEALTHeLINK so that other physicians that treat them have instant, accurate and safe access to their medical records, 24 percent said strongly “yes” and 57 percent “yes,” for a total of 81 percent.

Regarding consent, 46 percent said that they knew if they or a member of their family had signed a consent form that allows physicians access to their health information through HEALTHeLINK. Another 37 percent said “no” and 16 percent “weren’t sure.”

Consumers were also asked if they thought their doctors spend too much time on laptops during patient visits. To this question, 37 percent said “yes”, while 11 percent said “strongly yes” and 60 percent said “no.”

Topics

News

Class Action Lawsuit Claims eClinicalWorks Deficiencies Led to Inaccurate Medical Records

A class action lawsuit filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court in the Southern District of New York alleges that electronic health records vendor eClinicalWorks failed “millions of patients by failing to maintain the integrity of patients’ records.”

HHS Secretary Names Three Members to HIT Advisory Committee

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Acting Secretary Eric D. Hargan named three members to the Health Information Technology Advisory Committee (HITAC), established by the 21st Century Cures Act.

Survey Gauges Health System Preparedness for Quality Payment Program

A new survey indicates that most healthcare organizations are relying on EHRs and population health management solutions for quality performance management. However, survey respondents also report low satisfaction with these solutions, which puts organizations at risk of falling short of their goals for maximizing payment incentives.

House Committee Examining Personnel and Organizational Changes at HHS Cybersecurity Center

The House Committee on Energy and Commerce is examining whether the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) retaliated against two key HHS cybersecurity officials and whether those actions weakened the federal agency’s role in responding to healthcare cybersecurity incidents.

Large Physician Group Joins Michigan’s Growing Statewide HIE Network

Oakland Physician Network Services (OPNS) has joined the Michigan Health Information Network Shared Services (MiHIN), a statewide health information network that continues to grow with now its 13th health information exchange qualified organization.

Survey Indicates Major Jump in Telemedicine Adoption in Past Three Years

A new survey shows broad acceptance of telemedicine services among health care executives and providers compared to just three years ago as 76 percent of healthcare professionals said their organizations currently offer or plan to offer telemedicine services.