The Rochester, Minn.-based Mayo Clinic is the most social media-friendly hospital in the U.S., according to an evaluation of more than 800 hospitals from NurseJournal, a social community for nurses.
NurseJournal pulled only Facebook and Twitter stats to determine which hospitals are doing the best job of connecting with their patients through social media. Scores were assigned for each type of activity, with a total score of 100 possible—50 for Facebook and 50 for Twitter. NurseJournal says it wanted to focus on the two most common and widely used social media platforms in medical communication.
The activities that were scored included: check-ins, “likes,” fans, tweets, followers, following, “listed,” and “talking about.” Mayo Clinic, for the second year in a row, was named as the most social-media friendly hospital in the U.S. Some of its numbers included: 538,000 Facebook likes, 27,000 check-ins, nearly 18,000 tweets, and almost 900,000 followers.
The other top 10 social media-friendly hospitals, in order, were:
- Cleveland Clinic;
- Baylor Regional Medical Center in Texas;
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston;
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center;
- Rush University Medical Center in Chicago;
- Houston Methodist Hospital;
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City;
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers; and
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago
Get the latest information on Health IT and attend other valuable sessions at this two-day Summit providing healthcare leaders with educational content, insightful debate and dialogue on the future of healthcare and technology.